DON'T FORGET, it is your responsibility to find time to finish your blog each week. If you are going to be gone, look ahead and find time to work on it. At home, computer lab, before school, AR, lunch break, after school, etc. DON'T FORGET!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Methods of Research (Blog #3)




To avoid bias and false conclusions, psychology, as a science, tries to be as objective as possible in its studies.


Your Assignment:

Choose three different methods of research, describe the benefits of those methods and why you chose them over the others.


Due: Sunday 1/23/11 by 11:59p.m.

18 comments:

  1. One type of research i would choose is the field experiment. I like it because the setting is realistic. Another type is the Naturalistic obsesrvation method, because the behavior studied is completely natural. The last type i would pick is the case study method, because it can shed light on backround problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naturalistic Observation is behavior studied completely natural, i like it because there is no harm done.
    Case Study Method, it provides background information, and you need the past to help you with what is occuring now.
    Interview because you talk to the person being studied on what he or she thinks and feels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The survey method is the first method that I have chosen. The benefit of a survey method is that people can gather information on feelings, opinions, and behavior patterns. This can also be an amazingly accurate method. I chose it because it can be very accurate.

    The second one that I chose was the interview method. This allows a researcher to obtain personal, detailed information. I chose this because it allows a person to get up close and personal.

    The last one that I chose was the Psychological test. This test provides accurate, objective information with little chance of distorting the evidence. I chose this one because it can also be very accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nuerobiological. cognitive and behavioral. all of these deal with the human behavior and how it may react to certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nuerobiological. cognitive and behavioral. all of these deal with the human behavior and how it may react to certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the case study is a good method because it provides background information that can help solve the problem as to why the person is acting that way. Also the cross-sectional method because it can be used to represent the whole population. The psychological test could be a good method too because it provides accurate information with little chance of dostorting information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well my first choice would be Natualistic Observation because the behavior studied is completely natural. The disadvantage is that the researcher cannot interact with subjects and may interpret subjects' responses incorrectly. My second choice would be the Field Experiment becuase the setting is more realitic than in a laboratory. The disadvantage is the its often difficult to control all varibles. My third choice would be the Survey Method because you can gather information on feelings, opinions, and behavior patterns. It can also be amazingly accurate. Some disadvantages would be that the survey's sample may not be representative of population as a while. Also questions used may not be phrased objectively. Last the interpretation of results may be distorted.
    I chose these three over all the rest because that just made sense to me. When i was reading the choices they jumped out the most in my mind. You can test in a real world situation and get accurate information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Behaviorism, Psychoanalysis, Cognitivism, I chose these three b/c they all have to do with how a person or animal acts and responds to every day things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Psychoanalysis, is the stupdy of the unconscious mind.

    Behaviorism, is a study of how the environment can effect a person's behavior.

    Congnitivism, is the study of the mental process of how people think or percieve.

    I choose these three because they are the ones i mostly believe in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Interview-Researcher can obtain personal, detailed information. This allows the researcher to receive accurate, and honest information.

    2. Survey Method-Gathers information on feelings, opinions, and behavior patterns. This results with very accurate information.

    3. Naturalistic Observation- Behavior studied is completely natural. This is beneficial because it is true information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) Labortatory b/c you get more of an accurate results back. I chose this b/c I would want the exact results.
    2)Survey Method so you can get more information on what you need to know. I chose this b/c I would what to have a ton of information so I know what im doing.
    3) Case study b/c you get alot of back ground information to cover what you need. I chose this b/c if you don't have back ground information you don't have anything to base it off of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. field experiment, the setting is more realistic thank in a laboratory.

    survery method explains how it can gather info on feelings, opinions, and behavior patterns.

    interview deals with the researcher how they can obtain personal, detailed info.

    i chose these 3 because they made the most sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The labratory method, because the person running the experiment can be completely unbiased. Also, the experiment can be controlled more than others.
    The Field Study method, because the setting is more realistic than the labratory method, and as such, could potentially cover up the cracks left by the labratory experimetnt, even thought it is harder to control.
    The Naturalistic Observation method, because although the person can interpret the subject incorrectly, the subject doesn't know they are being observed. This can reveal the true personality of the subject, as they will not act differently than they naturally do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first type of research is naturalistic observation. This involves watching a animal in its natural environment and observing how they act. I like this type because it seems the most natural and makes the most sense.

    The second type is a survey. Where you interview a large group of people and those results most usually are correct. I like this method alot because it can be used in many other medias. Like business, medical, and pyscological.

    Finally, there is casual research. This is based on the concept of "cause and effect". I like this method because for every action there is a reaction.

    http://allpsych.com/psychology101/research.html
    http://psychology.about.com/od/researchmethods/ss/expdesintro.htm

    ReplyDelete
  15. humanistic because everyone has freewill
    neuro is chemical imbalances that u cannot control and psyco is the unconcious thoughts that you also can not control. i chose theese because i think they are the most valid

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would choose Laboratory Experiment because if i were to get cancer or something like that i wouldnt want the Doc. to tell me he wasnt sure if i had cancer or not i would want accurate information.
    I would also go with Naturalistic Observation because its all about natural things its just easy to understand, and kind of intresting.
    The thrid one i would pick is Survey Method it gathers info on feelings, options, and behavior patterns, i like it because its pretty accurate and i like accurate thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. naturalistic behavioral, beacuase it seems very real and everything is natuaral. field expeiment, becasue some poeple are better "hands on" than in a classroom or lab. survey method, because it gives you options opinions and behavioral percerverings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. case study is a good method because it provides background information cross-sectional method because it can be used to represent the whole population psychological test could be a good method because it provides accurate information i chose theese because they make the most since

    ReplyDelete

Remember this is 3 test grade points! Answer the questions fully and completely. 3/3=100%, 2/3=66%, 1/3=33%. Failure to complete blog or a violation of blogging rules will lead to a 0/3=0%. It is your responsibility to complete the blogs sufficiently and on time. Your blog grades are updated on the grade web page. Make sure to check your grades often!