DON'T FORGET, it is your responsibility to find time to finish your blog each week. If you are going to be gone, look ahead and find time to work on it. At home, computer lab, before school, AR, lunch break, after school, etc. DON'T FORGET!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Acquiring Information (Blog #10)

To acquire information, we must control what comes in and what is blocked out from the environment. Material that we retain is first sent through a short-term memory where it is processed and then moved to a permanent storage area where physical changes occur in the nerve cells. (Click on the link below)


*Acquiring Information*


Your Assignment:

1) List the three phases of the remembering process as describe in the link above.
2) List and describe the 3 different influences on acquiring information that is describe in your textbook.
3) Out of these 3 different influences, which has the strongest effect on you. (Be as specific as possible bringing up examples from your attempts at acquiring information.)

Due: Sunday 3/21/10 by no later than 11:59p.m.

15 comments:

  1. 1) The first is Acquiring Information. In order to ever recall information we must first learn in or acquire it. The second is storing information or holding in all the information you can until you need it. The third is retrieval which is getting all the information out you can that is stored in your long term memory.
    2) One is learning curves. This learning process can be plotted out visually using graphs, getting your attention. Another is Chemical influences which fall under stiumulants and depressants. Stimulants can increase learning and depressants will reduce your learning. And lastly is transfer of training. This means that learnign task A will carry over to learning task B is there are similarities between them. By positive and negative transfer.
    3) I think the strongest effect is the one I didn't mention which is emotional factors in learning. The most important learning is centered on survival. We remember things when we are in a excited state therefore if we are in a crisis we remember what to do. Another good example is humor in the classroom. In moderation it increases level of brain activity. And if there is a nasty teacher you will associate that with the learning process and your learning will decrease overall I just think it has a bigger effect on the learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.) Acquisition, storing, retrieval.
    2.)Influence of attention- its common sense and becoming physically aroused.
    Chemical Influences on learning- two categories; stimulants and depressants. Stimulants is the increase in learning and depressant drug is the firing of nerve cells.
    Emotinoal Fators in learning- involvement increases learning. Use of humor in the classroom because it increases brain activity.
    3.) The strongest effect for me would probably be the emotional factors because I like to joke around and laugh while paying attention in the classroom. Thats just how I learn best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The three phases of remembering processes are acquisition, storing, and retrieval. The three different influences on acquiring information are influence of attention, chemical influences on learning, and emotional factors in learning. Influence of attention is when you pay attention, then you learn better. Chemical influences are stimulants such as caffeine in drinks that will stimulate your brain and increase your learning. Emotional factors are the emotional conditions under which you learn best. This could be humor or for others it could be a serious emotional state in which they acquire information the best. The one that has the strongest effect on me is the influence of attention. I think that if you pay attention to what your teacher is saying, you are going to easily be able to pick up the information. When you are following along, it is also a good was to learn and come up with questions you might have about the subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1)a.acquisition
    b.storing
    c.retrieval
    2)a. The influence of attention which is being alert and being focused on the material. b. Chemical influences on learning has two categories: stimulants and depressants. Stimulants are things life caffeine which will stimulate learning. A depressant such as alcohol will block the firing of brain nerve cells and reduce learning. c. Emotional involvement will increase learning so things like humor may help.
    3)I would say emotional has the biggest effect on me. I like English because Mrs.Martin is fun and has a good sense of humor and so I do well in her class because I enjoy it. I won't give a specific of a teacher I dislike but I do poorer in those classes because I don't like the teacher and their attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) a. acquisition
    b. storing
    c. retrieval

    2) attention = refering to a persons alert focusing on material that is to be retained
    influence of attetnion = becoming physically aware or aroused of what we are learning and activating chemicals in the brain which aid ability to learn.
    conventional learning = involving slower learning processes; learning gradually as learning progresses.
    Chemical influence of learning = stimulants and depressants affecting learning

    3) Chemical influence due to the stimulants and depressants. If you enjoy the subject or material yo uwish to learn then you are more apt to pay attention while if it is a subject or amterial you would not find any benefit from then depressants would kick in and cause you to not pay attention of acquire information and store it and make it harder to retrieve the information later on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) Aquization, storing, and retrieval.

    2) -Influence of attention: alert focusing on material.
    -Chemical- stimulants (caffeine) increase learning by increasing activity level; depressants (drugs or tranquilizers) will block the firing of brain nerve cells and reduce learning.) HOT DOGS will also do this!!!!!
    -Emotional- emotional involvement increases learning.

    3) Probably emotional involvement because the main things I remember in my life include some type of emotion such as break ups or when something really good happened and made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Acquisition, storing, and retrieval
    2. Chemical influences are the chemicals in the brain that influence your learing abilities. The two chemicals are stimulants and depressants. Emotional influences is like humor are anger and the different emotions. Learing curves deals with attention and conventional learning.
    3.Emotional. Emotion basically decides what your going to do, or at least it does for me. Like depending on what mood I'm in depends on if I do an assignment right away or not

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) Acquistion, Storing, Retrieval

    2) Attention- you acquire information with watching and understanding what is going on. The most basic things you could do was learned by watching and doing.

    Chemical - certin chemicals effect the brain functions. Some drugs, alcohol, and other things like these mess up learning capabilities.

    Emotional- depends on your emotion if you learn well or not. Good mood you learn quite well, bad mood you might not learn quite as well, ect. It creates chemical balances or inbalances that will either make good or bad influences with information.

    3) I would say Emotional, if I am in a bad mood, I don't care to learn anything, contradicting, if im in a good mood, I can learn and not be bothered by it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The three phases of the remembering process is acquisition which is recalling information you have already learned, storing is storing the information over long periods of time, and retrieval which is getting the information you need from you long term memory.
    One influence of acquiring information is Influence of Attention. When we attend to something we become physically aroused and this activates chemicals in the brain and aids our ability to learn. Another way is chemical influences on learning. Many chemicals influence learning and they fall into two broad categories stimulants and depressants. The last is emotional factors in learning. The most important learning is that centering on survival so emotional involvement increases learning. The one that influences me the most is the influence on attention. I learn best when I see visual stuff such as graphs and if you don’t really have my attention I won’t learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Acquisition, storing, and retrieval. If I had my textbook here with me at home I would be able to answer the remainder of this question, however, I do not have my book. I will have to finish this blog tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Influence of attention or alert focusing on material. Conventional learning or the learning curve is one that applies to learning. Also, there are chemical influences on learning such as stimulants and despressants. Stimulants, such as caffeine, can increase learning. Any depressant drug, such as a tranquilizer or alcohol, block the firing of brain nerve cells and actually reduce learning. The influence of attention in memorizing speeches for Speech Team and FCCLA is a perfect example in my life. The first time Peter and I got our duet script, we went through it at least 8 times until we had it completely memorized. Also, it takes a couple of speech meets before I have scripts memorized and this just happens because of the repitition of the recitation of the speeches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. acquisition, storing, and retrieval.

    2. There is an influence of attention. We become physically arroused and this makes our brains release chemicals.

    There is the chemical influences. The chemicals that release in our brain such as stimulants.

    And there is the emotional factors. They the brain releases chemicals which increase animals memory potential.

    3. The influence that has the strongest effect is the emotional factor, because it us centering on survival.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1.Acquisiton
    2.Storing
    3> Retrieval
    The three infleunces are influences of attentipon, chemical influences and emotional influences. Stuff like are you paying attention, the learning process of when you learn it. Chemicals that can make our brains work and ho w we store long or short term memory, and emotional which means if someone was to bring in an emotionaol responce while learning something
    The emotional pobly works best on me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1)a.acquisition
    b.storing
    c.retrieval
    2)Attention- you acquire information with watching and understanding what is going on. The most basic things you could do was learned by watching and doing.
    Chemical - certin chemicals effect the brain functions. Some drugs, alcohol, and other things like these mess up learning capabilities.
    Emotional- depends on your emotion if you learn well or not. Good mood you learn quite well, bad mood you might not learn quite as well, ect. It creates chemical balances or inbalances that will either make good or bad influences with information.
    3) it would have to be the emotional one because if i am happy i don't like to listen but if i am mad i will pay attention better

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. acquisition, storing, retrieval
    2. emotional- emotional involvement increases learning.
    learing curves- deals with attention and conventional learning.
    chemical - certin chemicals effect the brain functions.
    3. Emotional because you always remember how you feel and then you remember what you was thinking about because it has to do with what you felt inside. Like your first boyfriend/ girlfriend or whats funny or not.

    ReplyDelete

Remember this is 3 test grade points! Answer the questions fully and completely. 3/3=100%, 2/3=66%, 1/3=33%. Failure to complete blog or a violation of blogging rules will lead to a 0/3=0%. It is your responsibility to complete the blogs sufficiently and on time. Your blog grades are updated on the grade web page. Make sure to check your grades often!